Saturday, April 17, 2010

Statistics: How do I prove a significant difference between the results of control and experimental groups?

I'm trying to finish a term paper for a 400-level social science research class. I'm trying to test whether or not the Motor Voter Act resulted in a significant difference in presidential election turnout. Since there are four states (MN, ND, WI, WY) exempt from MV because their registration laws were already at least as lax as MV prescribes, I'm using them as a control group. To control for historical differences in state-by-state turnout, I'm comparing the difference in the change in aggregate turnout between the two groups for the two elections before (88 %26amp; 92) and after (96 and 00) MV took effect. My hypothesis is that there will not be a significant difference between the changes in the two groups, suggesting that MV did not result in any significant change in voter turnout.





How can I compare the two cases in order to test my hypothesis statistically? Thanks for all your help.

Statistics: How do I prove a significant difference between the results of control and experimental groups?
You will have to use the mathematical expressions of either ratios or percentages, or both; so that the results are clearly defined in an obvious manner. The term "significant" is much too vague and undefined. Stay away from it, unless you can define it! Simply show 2 groups, 2 elections, 2 sets


of ratios and/or percentage differences in each one; and let the numbers do the talking.
Reply:by the expression on their face

broken teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment