Saturday, April 17, 2010

Statistics: How do I prove a significant difference between the results of control and experimental groups?

I'm trying to finish a term paper for a social science research class. I'm trying to test whether or not the Motor Voter Act resulted in a significant difference in presidential election turnout. Since there are four states (MN, ND, WI, WY) exempt from MV, I'm using them as a control group. To control for historical differences in state-by-state turnout, I'm comparing the difference in the change in aggregate turnout between the two groups for the two elections before (88 %26amp; 92) and after (96 and 00) MV took effect. My hypothesis is that there will not be a significant difference between the changes in the two groups, suggesting that MV did not result in any significant change in voter turnout. I tried weighting each according to the applicable population, adding a nominal variable to differentiate the groups, and crosstabling, but that doesn't seem to work.





How can I compare the two cases statistically? Also, any help on how to run the reports on SPSS would be _extremely_ helpful.

Statistics: How do I prove a significant difference between the results of control and experimental groups?
You would use a Chi Square analysis to show whether or not the two populations that you are looking at significantly different from one another or not

canine teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment