Monday, November 16, 2009

Statistics?

I wnat to know if there is a special job that involves people finding the statistics or the odds of soemthing happening. Like if I wanted to know the odds of me getting hit by a train in the city at night. Like could someone give me a number, like your chances are .3 billion to 4 like I don't know. Is there a special thing that can give you anything statistic, or any job what would that could tell me. Like someone who does this for a living. What would this job be called? Please help.

Statistics?
actuarial statistics. people who help to create insurance policies. if possible. the insurance company wants to avoid paying, so they want to insurance events that are highly improbable so they don't have to pay. also, they want you to pay a higher premium for events that are likely . actuaries, underwriters, and the like. there are also people who calculate things like 100 year storms or a 100 damn. What you do calculate the probability that say a category 5 will hit New Orleans in a hundred years and then you build a structure that could withstand that. If a category 6 hits all bets are off. I would imagine government statisticians could do that job.


No comments:

Post a Comment